North vs. South on the Horizon
Each year, the San Diego Aces hold an internal match play event called the North vs. South Challenge. The history of the event is that the South has been dominant, with only one victory for the North in the several years the event has been held. This year’s renewal of the North vs. South Challenge will be held on the weekend of September 11/12, 2015. Here are a few key details regarding the event:
- Players must be San Diego Aces members, joining at least one month before North vs. South is contested.
- The rough dividing line for the teams is the 52 freeway (however players calling Mast Park home may be chosen for the South team).
- Competition is in match play format, with singles matches counting for one point and doubles matches counting for two points.
- Saturday matches will be played in North County, at Kit Carson Park (singles) and Brengle Terrace Park (doubles).
- Sunday matches will be played in South County, at Sun Valley Golf Course (doubles) and Morley Field (singles).
- Each team is composed of 4 Men’s Pro Open (MPO) players, 6 Advanced Amateur (MA1) players, 6 Intermediate Amateur (MA2) players, 2 Masters (40+ years old) and 2 Women (Pro or Amateur).
- Team Captains are Chad Nichter for the North and Jason Perdue for the South.
Players can qualify for the team in a variety of ways, primarily through participation in the Aces’ Monthly tournaments or in qualifier rounds scheduled by the team captains. Participation in local PDGA events can also be used as a qualifier and captains can make a limited number of discretionary selections.
Several team qualifiers will be occurring over the next few weeks to finalize the teams:
- North Qualifier – Saturday, 8/15 at Kit Carson Park, 8:30am start.
- San Diego Aces Monthly – Sunday, 8/16 at Goat Hill, register by 8:30a, tee times start at 9am (both teams).
- South Qualifier – Monday, 8/24 at Sun Valley, 5pm start.
- North Qualifier – Sunday, 8/30 at Brengle Terrace Park, 8:30am start.
- South Qualifier – Saturday, 9/5 at Mast Park, 9am start.
If you have questions about participation, contact your team captain. Check out this link for more details on the North vs. South