Highlights from the August Board Meeting
On the second Monday of each month, the San Diego Aces board meets to take care of club business and work on ways to promote disc golf in San Diego County. The executive board members and course reps are unpaid volunteers, receiving no compensation or perks for the work that they provide. Some of you may wonder from time what the board is up to, so here are a few highlights from last night’s board meeting:
- President Jeff Nichols reported on the status of the Brengle Terrace Park disc golf course. 16 holes are completed, with two holes yet to be finished. These holes must be finished and all signage installed before the October 1 deadline set by the City of Vista. Much more volunteer help is needed.
- Vice President Randy Wylot reported on the fundraising effort for Brengle Terrace. 9 $500 tee sign sponsorships have been sold and 6 of the 30 $100 kiosk sponsorships have been sold. These funds will be used to reimburse the club for construction expenses.
- A grand opening event will be held at Brengle Terrace on Saturday, Sept 8th. One round of golf (with a bagtag challenge for Aces members), a ring of fire and prize raffle. $20 donation required to participate, with all proceeds going towards construction costs. All participants will get a commemorative disc donated by Legacy Discs. Signups will be on DiscGolfU.com.
- Membership Director Mark Verrochi reported that the Aces were now up to 595 members! Morley Course Rep Donny Olow pushed that number over 600 with the new membership forms and payments he turned in at the meeting.
- The Sun Valley Open is coming up on August 25-26. The Aces are providing support to TD David Parnell as he puts on another great event. The Aces are providing the 9 baskets that expand the course from 9 to 18 holes and have secured 4 additional rubber tee pads (from Bakersfield’s Rocky Brown) for the course. Aces member Greg Olsen has been very busy working on course improvements before the tournament and Course Rep Dan Lichtman held a work party at the course over the weekend.
- Kit Carson Course Rep Tony Buck presented a map with some possible new tee and basket positions for the course.
- San Marcos Course Rep A.J. Risley reported on three items: the upcoming Ace Race at Montiel Park (Oct. 13th), progress on the grant project that will add 40 trees, irrigation and possible concrete tee pads for the back tees at Montiel Park, and the formation of a Disc Golf Team at Cal State San Marcos that will compete for the Southwest College Championship in November.
- Jeff Nichols also mentioned the success of Aces members at last weekend’s Sky High Showdown in Wrightwood: Max Nichols won the Open division, while Aces Secretary and Webmaster Allen Risley won in Advanced Masters.