It’s almost time to elect the San Diego Aces Board of Directors for 2014. The election will be held similarly to past years: There will be a one week period for online voting, with voting link e-mails being sent to all Aces members with valid e-mail addresses. That period will run from Friday, Nov. 22 to 5pm on Friday, Nov. 29. For those members without valid e-mail addresses or those who wish to vote in person, two bag tag events will be held, one on Saturday, Nov. 30 and the other on Sunday, Dec. 1. Exact locations and times are TBD.
If you are interested in running for the board, please submit a nomination to Aces Vice President Randy Wylot (email@example.com), who is collecting the nominations. Please submit a brief bio and picture – these items will be posted on the Aces website and available by link from the online ballot. Positions open for election are President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary and Membership Director. The top five vote-getters will meet in December to assign specific offices. Course Reps are selected by the board at it’s January meeting.
New Cal State University System Chancellow Timothy White recently visited Cal State San Marcos for the first time, and he made sure to get in a little disc golf while he was there. An eyewitness reported: “His backhand was pretty good, but he would probably get more power behind it if he lost the suit and tie.” Let’s hope he helps other CSU schools add a disc golf course to their campuses.
The Kit Carson Park Disc Golf Course will be closed to general public use from 2-5pm on Wednesday, October 23rd. The City of Escondido has rented out the course for a private event at that time. Part of the proceeds from the rental will go into the course maintenance fund. We ask that you choose another course to play on Wednesday. Thanks for your cooperation!
The following rules have been established by the San Diego Aces Board of Directors. Any modifications to
these rules must be agreed upon by the San Diego Aces Board of Directors at least two months prior to the
first day of the event. The Captains for 2013 are: North – Mark Verrochi (firstname.lastname@example.org) and South – Daniel Lichtman (Lichtman@rock.com). Contact the Captains if you have questions that aren’t answered below.
1. Each participant competing must be a current San Diego Aces member. The San Diego Aces member must be an Aces member when participating in the qualifier and for at least one month prior to the first day of the North vs. South Challenge.
2. Spots can be awarded to an Aces member for top finishes at a captain’s preselected qualifier and/or at the captain’s discretion.
a. The captain’s preselected qualifiers should be publicized on the San Diego Aces Facebook page and website to notify Aces members of the upcoming qualifier events.
b. There must be at least three preselected qualifiers for each side to allow Aces members
multiple opportunities to try out for a team.
c. A captain’s discretion team member selection is a last resort option and should be based
on tournament results, player rating, etc.
3. The entry fee for the event is $20 per person to reserve a spot.
a. $15 is for a shirt for the participant.
b. $5 goes to a post-event dinner for the winning team.
4. The following boundaries have been established to determine which team a player can qualify for:
a. Aces members competing for the north team are required to live in San Diego County north of Highway 52.
b. Aces members competing for the south team are required to live in San Diego County south of Highway 52.
c. Captains are required to verify addresses of all participants prior to the event.
1. The captain for each team is required to be appointed by the San Diego Aces Board of Directors.
2. The captains are responsible for coordination and team selection.
3. The captains are permitted to compete with the team.
4. The “home” captain chooses the singles and doubles matchups from the list of players/teams put together by each captain.
1. Four rounds of Disc Golf will be played over the course of two days. Two of the rounds (one singles and one doubles) will occur in North County and in South County.
2. The schedule and format of the event is as follows:
Date Meeting Time Location Match Play Format
Oct. 19, 2013 8:30 AM Kit Carson Park Singles
Oct. 19, 2013 1:15 PM Goat Hill. Best Shot Doubles
Oct. 20, 2013 8:30 AM Morley Field Singles
Oct. 20, 2013 1:30 PM Sun Valley Best Shot Doubles
1. Each team is required to be composed of the following players: Six (6) MPO, one (1) FPO, one (1) MPM, seven (7) MA1, one (1) MM1, and four (4) MA2.
2. Each team is required to have two (2) alternates.
3. Any player may qualify for a division above their respective division but not in a lower division.
4. Amateur women may try out for the following divisions: MA1, MA2, and/or FPO.
5. A player’s division should be determined by his/her PDGA player rating. If a player does not have a
rating, the captain’s should agree on a player’s division prior to the event.
1. One point will be awarded for each match won by an individual or doubles pair.
2. One-half point will be awarded to each team for any match that ends in a tie.
3. One point will be awarded to the opposing team for each match forfeit.
4. In the event of a tie, the total number of holes won will be used to break the tie.
5. If there is still a tie, a CTP will occur with all participants to determine the winner.
The Ace Race is always good for a few surprises. This year, the biggest surprise was that the shipment of player packs only had 100 discs in it – half of the order that had been made and not enough for all of the 142 players who showed up. Since the boxes were delivered the afternoon before the event there wasn’t much that could be done, aside from asking the players who assembled on Saturday morning for their patience and cooperation.
And guess what? Nearly all of those in attendance had brought their patience and cooperation with them, and for that the Ace Race Team was very thankful. The group found a way to share 90-something discs among 138-ish players and play began around 9am. For those players who still need to receive player pack items or discs, they should be delivered soon and the Ace Race Team will be contacting you for distribution.
The 100 early-registered players received their remaining player pack items – two durable plastic pint glasses, a Titanium mini Magnet putter, a Discraft can coozie, two reusable scorecards and a Discraft sticker. This author thinks the scorecards are the most useful items in the pack. Some players made quick use of the pint glasses, drinking what looked like iced tea throughout the day. The disc? Well, it’s made of Titanium plastic so it looks pretty cool. One of our local experts concluded that it flew a lot like an Innova Viking – fairway driver speed with a little glide and a hard fade at the end.
The disc must have been to many players’ liking, because we recorded the greatest number of aces and metal hits in the history of San Marcos Ace Races. Scott Miller was the most accurate of the day, with one ace and three metal hits to take the first place prize of a golf bag full of Discraft discs (which he benevolently shared with his friends).
Once again, many thanks to all of you who helped us raise several hundred dollars for EDGE, and who helped the day go smoothly.
Scott Miller – 1 Ace/3 Metals
Drew Bogue – 1 Ace/2 Metals
Cole Reynolds – 1 Ace/2 Metals
Billy Brubaker – 1 Ace/2 Metals
Don Githens – 1 Ace/1 Metal
Ian Piper- 1 Ace/1 Metal
Mark Verrochi – 1 Ace/1 Metal
Rob Eames – 1 Ace/1 Metal
Steve Grubbs – 1 Ace/0 Metals
Martin Pierce – 3 Metals
Brandon Duncan – 3 Metals
Joe Goodman – 3 Metals
Chad Wilkinson – 2 Metals
Dave Lawrence – 2 Metals
Travis Benson – 2 Metals
Steve Buck – 2 Metals
Jim Lane – 2 Metals
Tanner Kurtz – 2 Metals
Blair McDonough – 2 Metals
Greg Davis – 2 Metals
Nathan Nunez – 2 Metals
Paul Morgavo – 2 Metals
Mike Ramos – 2 Metals
Scott Lee – 1 Metal
Sean Stevens – 1 Metal
Tyler Tremmeling – 1 Metal
Kade Stabenow – 1 Metal
Drew Zeller – 1 Metal
Joe Sanger – 1 Metal
Josh Bennet – 1 Metal
Donny Olow – 1 Metal
Ozzie Fausto – 1 Metal
Tyler Coney – 1 Metal
Clayton Young – 1 Metal
Tony Buck – 1 Metal
Colin Jones – 1 Metal
Brian Boyland – 1 Metal
Brandon Reed – 1 Metal
Mike Pearson – 1 Metal
Jim Richter – 1 Metal
Mike Allee – 1 Metal
Dennis Keane – 1 Metal
Grant Nunez – 1 Metal
Dan Shorkey – 1 Metal
Sun Valley Golf Course in La Mesa will once again host a PDGA-sanctioned, SoCal Series event. This year called The Open @ Sun Valley, the tournament will give players another chance at taming the challenging 18-hole “SVO” layout. Registration is available online at DiscGolfU.com. Pro and Men’s Advanced Amateur (MA1) players will play 3 rounds (2 Saturday, 1 Sunday) while the remaining players will play 2 rounds (1 per day). Sunday’s activities will wrap up with the traditional Doubles/Skins challenge, where players with the top scores for the weekend are matched with raffle winners.
Many thanks to our major sponsors – Innova Disc Golf and DiscGolfValues.com. Fundraiser discs (Gold Star Terns, Glow Champion Whippet-X’s, Champion Metal Flake Shark3′s, Champion XD’s and Atlases) will be available for sale in advance, with all proceeds going to the event payout.
If you would like to sponsor the event or have any questions, please contact Tournament Directors Allen Risley (email@example.com, 760-822-7641) or Chad Nichter (firstname.lastname@example.org, 260-517-3802).