It’s Election Time!
The San Diego Aces Disc Golf Club is governed by a board made up of nine members: President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary, Membership Director and four Course Representatives. The board makes decisions and sets policy on a wide variety of issues related to the sport of disc golf in San Diego, including organizing and purchasing membership packages, disc golf course development, tournament sponsorship, running tournaments and other competitions, information dissemination and organizing social activities. The 2010 Board of Directors has been quite active in the following ways:
- Successfully grew club membership to over 350 members.
- Donated $2,500 towards sponsorship of the Cal State San Marcos Disc Golf Course, becoming the lead sponsor.
- Provided financial support and work parties to install the Escondido Rotary Club Disc Golf Course at Kit Carson Park.
- Purchased the baskets and tee pads from Emerald Isle Golf Course, for use in future San Diego County courses (some tee pads are already in use at Kit Carson park and Sun Valley).
- Organized and ran five PDGA-sanctioned tournaments: San Marcos Ice Bowl, Salt Creek Ice Bowl, EIEIO, Kit Carson Grand Opening, California State Championships.
- Sponsored and provided staffing for several other significant PDGA events: Sun Valley Open, Morley Spring Fling, CSUSM First Gentleman’s Open.
- Ran weekly doubles leagues at Kit Carson Park and Montiel Park.
- Provided ongoing repair and maintenance services to courses at Kit Carson Park, Montiel Park, Sunset Park and CSUSM.
- Developed and launched a revised web site, Facebook page and Twitter feed to deliver information to the membership and public.
- Applied for tax-exempt, non-profit (501c3) status with the federal government.
At the end of each year the San Diego Aces Disc Golf Club elects board members to serve for the next calendar year. The election for 2011 board members will be held both on-line and in person, just as it was for the 2010 board. The on-line vote will be held December 4th through 17th, with links to the ballot sent out via e-mail to addresses listed by members on their membership forms. The on-line ballot will be security-enabled, so each e-mailed link can only be used once. For those members who are unable to or decide not to vote on-line, a ballot box will be available on the weekend of December 18th and 19th, in conjunction with the annual North vs. South team competition. The ballot box will follow the competition as it moves between the four courses used in the challenge: Morley Field, Sun Valley, Kit Carson Park and Montiel Park. A schedule for the North vs. South Challenge will be posted on the Aces web site in the near future.
Nominations are now open for election to the 2011 Board of Directors and will close on November 28, 2010. Members can self-nominate or be nominated by another member by contacting Aces Vice President Randy Wylot at: email@example.com. Nominees run in a general election for the board, not for specific positions. Top vote-getters meet after the election to determine which offices they will hold. Nominees are encouraged to submit a candidate statement or bio of no more than 200 words, which will be posted on the Aces web site before the election and linked to from the ballot. This year’s ballot is also expected to contain amendments to the club’s bylaws. At the time of posting, the amendments were still in the process of being finalized by the Board. The ballot will also inlude a link to a member survey.
The current board encourages any and all members with an interest in serving the disc golf community to seek nomination to the board. More people pulling together will help grow the sport that much quicker – “Thoughts Become Things”!